RE: Bug in Cygwin bash?

> I think John Williams wrote:
> >
> > It seems not many people build linux kernels under cygwin - I think
> > if they did, this issue I've found would have been reported earlier,
> > because it's the first step in the kernel configuration process.
>
> OK, I've gotta ask -- WHY do you want to do this in the first place?

0) Because You Can
1) It's a good test of Cygwin
2) It's a good test of the kernel build process
3) You either bootstrapping a system, or the system that will
   eventually boot the kernel cannot build it's own kernel for
   some reason.

  For #3 - embedded systems developers are often unable to
compile a kernel on the target machine (or even the target
architecture).  Cross compiling a linux kernel is going to
happen in any case, so if you already have a Windows machine
(for MS Outlook, MS Office, MS Project, Visio, etc.) why go
to the bother and expense of obtaining a second machine to
do a (probably infrequent) kernel build?

  For the record, I've built a couple of bootable kernels
under Cygwin.  Yes, I ran into the bash command line problem/
xargs solution, but never got around to submitting a patch -
my apologies, John, for not saving you some small amount of
pain by doing so :-/

-Samrobb