Re: Pipe behavior

Steven,

At 16:28 2003-04-03, you wrote:
Hello,

I have a question about pipe behavior.  I wrote a simple program that
does a printf, sleeps for 5 seconds and then another printf.  If I run
the program with the following way:  $ ./simple | cat  The output is
delayed until the program finished.  I guessed that the pipe is buffered
and doesn't flush until it is closed when the program ends.  But then I
ran the same program as an emacs subprocess and attached a buffer to it.
In this scenario the first printf is displayed, 5 seconds pass and then
the second printf is displayed.  Emacs also uses pipes so I do not
understand why the behavior is different.

Pipes don't buffer in the manner you describe, but the standard I/O library does when its output is directed to a pipe or a plain file.

Are you sure that Emacs uses pipes and not ptys (pseudo-ttys)?

Which Emacs are you using? Cygwin or Windows?

Thanks
Steven Kilby

Randall "We don't need no stinkin' disclaimers" Schulz