Re: postscript previewer

Dario,

Well, if non-Cygwin solution is acceptable, then the preferred alternative is GSView.

There are quite a few PostScript files out there that are not well handled by ps2pdf, the resulting PDF file being acceptable for printing but not for on-screen viewing. I don't know what goes wrong, but it has something to do with fonts and encodings. Another symptom is that copying text from the converted PDF gives gibberish, not the text that appeared in the document displayed by Acrobat Reader. LIkewise, searches in these odd PDF files fail, unless you can type the same bizarre characters that are put in the clipboard when you copy from such a PDF file.

I don't know what issues underlie these symptoms, but they're common enough in my experience. In fact, tons of papers downloaded from CiteSeer in PDF format have this problem. I've had the same thing happen with one of the on-line PostScript to PDF translation services. Given the similarity of the symptoms, I'm guessing my Cygwin installation, CiteSeer and the on-line translation service are all using the same or nearly the same ps2pdf program for translation.

(Tip for CiteSeer users: Use the left-most file format in the list of available downloads in the upper-right area of the document index page. This is the paper's native format, the others having been converted from that file. Most of the time, at least for the papers I download which are produced by mathematicians and logicians who are actually writing TeX or LaTeX, this is PostScript).

Randall Schulz

At 07:56 2003-04-08, you wrote:
On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 04:07:34PM +0200, Schade Dr., Lars wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I am searching for a postscript previewer under cygwin (to look
> at GMT output). Since I did not manage to build gv or gsview I was
> wondering whether others succeeded or might have a useful
> suggestion as to what tool I could use to preview postscript files.
> Any ideas out there?

Well, what I do is use ps2pdf to generate a PDF file, and then I view it
using Adobe Acrobat Reader.  Works fine for me.

--
Dario Alcocer