Re: rebase problem (was Re: Happy Birthday (late), cgf...)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, S. L. wrote:

> Jason,
>
> It didn't "crash cygwin real good", let's better put it this way: it brought
> me in a mood I've considered my cygwin installation was crashed. Not much
> "technical" info to share.
> Actually, it happened because of (same old story) apache, apxs, mod_ssl, php
> and php_pg on win98. Apache itself and its modules could compile and run
> after rebasing the dlls. I was unable to bring up neither mod_ssl nor php /w
> php_pg. And this by either doing "massive" rebase (i.e. all dlls except
> cygwin1.dll) or just a "selective" one (just the dependecy dlls). Meanwhile pushing
> and pulling around original dlls. [...] I eventually solved the problem by
> compiling a shared_core apache version, which works without rebase, having those
> modules compiled in.
> But since all this took me a month or so, it left a bitter taste of defeat
> upon my relation with rebase (I still consider it a good tool, but I don't
> need it yet :^).
>
> SLao

SLao,

I think you're missing the point.  The old rebase was *broken*.  The new
rebase comes with a "rebaseall" script that will rebase *all* of your DLLs
(which is what should be done).  It's been heavily tested, and I don't
remember any reported problems.  Try it out, you might like it...
	Igor
P.S. I know, "once burned, always wary", but have some faith, man! ;-)
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II