Re: cat stories

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 10:36:45PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 08:50:23PM -0500, Matthew Smith wrote:
>> >Right. How gnarly are the cygwin patches for the current sh-utils and
>> >file-utils? If they're nothing major, I'll step up to bat for maintaining
>> >coreutils.
>>
>> I made an attempt to get "cp foo /bin" working "correctly" so that foo.exe
>> would be copied if there was no existing foo but I never got it quite right.
>> I don't think my changes should be reincorporated although it would be nice
>> to get this working.
>>
>> sh-utils should be patched so that test.exe uses the cygwin version of
>> access() rather than the sh-utils version.
>>
>> Other than that, I think it should be standard.
>> cgf
>
>Chris,
>
>Regarding the .exe appending issue, do you think it would make sense to
>add a "stat_pure()" function to Cygwin (as suggested in
><http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-04/msg02180.html>)?
>That would make easier implementing things like:
>
>   struct stat buf;
>   char name[8]="foo";
>   if (stat_pure(name, &buf)) {
>     strcat(name,".exe");
>     if (errno == ENOENT && !stat_pure(name, &buf)) {
>     }
>   }
>
>which would be useful for both cp and, say, unzip...

I don't see what this had to do with the cp issue.  I wasn't saying that
cp was hampered by stat's behavior.  My changes to cp were trying to
ensure that files with a .exe extension were copied appropriately even
when a .exe extension was not specified.

However to answer your question, no, I don't think adding non-POSIX
functions to cygwin is the way to go.  If you want to add
cygwin-specific code, then just check for "foo." rather than "foo".

cgf
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to aaaspam at sourceware dot org
and be permanently blocked from mailing lists at sources.redhat.com