Re: setup.exe: Woe is me!

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Phil Bewig wrote:

> I am having trouble installing cygwin on a machine running Win98.  I have
> downloaded setup.exe to my machine, the latest version currently available.

Which is?..  Numbers help...

>  I have run setup.exe and downloaded the default selection of packages.
>  Setup.exe has properly computed checksums.  Then setup.exe hangs.  I am
> able to press ctrl-alt-delete to access the task window, which shows
> setup.exe is not responding, and end the task.  I have tried several times
> and setup.exe won't go past this point.  I never see the list of packages
> available to select which ones to install.  There is no anti-virus software
> running on the computer during installation.  No files are written in
> /var/log.  My primary hard drive is c:, my cygwin directory is d:\ and my
> package directory is d:\package.  I had cygwin installed on this machine
> about a year ago, then uninstalled it, following the directions in the faq;
> is it possible that something is left from the prior installation that is
> causing the problem?  I don't know what to do next.  Can anyone help?
>
> Phil

How long did you leave setup "hanging" for?  If you haven't downloaded a
snapshot from <http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/>, you are likely to be
the victim of a "rush job" traversal algorithm for the package list (see
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-04/msg01150.html>).  This should be
fixed in the 2.358 snapshot.  Or you could simply wait "a minute"
(<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-04/msg02256.html>).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II