Re: Sharing Violation Mystery

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Steve wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I'm using the latest cygwin( fresh download of installer and files last
> week ) and windows 2000.
>
> I have a mysterious sharing violation issue which I hope someone here
> can help me solve.
>
> If I create or rename something within a directory I will become
> incapable of deleting as well as renaming that directory.
>
> I will not be able to rename or delete the directory in question until I
> reboot windows.
>
> I have taken screen shots of the output of taskmanager in this situation
> and immediately after a fresh reboot.  I could not find any differences
> in the processes between the two screenshots of taskmanager.  There is
> nothing obvious that is running, holding onto the directory, and showing
> up in taskmanager.
>
> Yes, I have emptied the directories in question and shut off all other
> programs.
>
> I am posting this problem here because I noticed that it will only
> happen within the C:\cygwin heirarchy.  Ugh, that is where it hurts the
> most as I try to keep all of my files in C:\cygwin\home\stever :).
>
> My login id for windows 2000 is "stever", yet when I run ls -l in bash I
> see "Administ" as the owner to all of my files.
>
> Is this situation supposed to be like this?
>
> Thanks in advance for any clues
> Steve

Steve,

In some cases, a Windows process started from a Cygwin process will keep
the files owned by the Cygwin process around until it exits (e.g., if I
start ghostview from vim, the vim swap files will stay until I quit
ghostview).

There are tools, like ProcessExplorer, IIRC, that will let you see the
owning process for each open file.  Someone else on the list may be able
to suggest concrete tools or URLs.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II