Re: skel ~/.bashrc (was RE: HOME)

Hannu, Max,

Aliases permit no manipulation of arguments or anything but simple left-hand expansion of the alias name with a fixed replacement string.

Shell procedures are as flexible as scripts and don't require file access.

Don't forget to use "return" in place of "exit" in shell procedures!

Randall Schulz

At 13:20 2003-05-05, Max Bowsher wrote:
Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:

> $ info Bash # says that shell functions are preferable to aliases...
>   anyone who can explain?

Well, I prefer shell functions because I can export them to subshells,
whereas aliases don't permit that.

Max.