/proc/cpuinfo

Hello!

The MPlayer documentation maintainer with shameless requests again ;-)

I have a few questions about /proc/cpuinfo.

On my machine I get the following output under Cygwin:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
type            : primary processor
cpu family      : 5
model           : 13
model name      : AMD-K6(tm)-III Processor
stepping        : 0
brand id        : 0
cpu count       : 0
apic id         : 0
cpu MHz         : 250
fpu             : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx

which differs a bit from the output under Linux:

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 5
model		: 13
model name	: AMD-K6(tm)-III Processor
stepping	: 0
cpu MHz		: 501.121
cache size	: 256 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx syscall 3dnowext 3dnow k6_mtrr
bogomips	: 999.42

The 250MHz under Cygwin are probably a bug, I have a 500MHz CPU.

The interesting field is flags, which we use in our configure script
to check for processor capabilities and later optimize for the ones we
find.  Cygwin detects/displays less flags than Linux:

flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx syscall 3dnowext 3dnow k6_mtrr

This is a pity as I now loose 3dnow and mtrr optimizations without
manual tweaking.

I know that /proc/cpuinfo is very new on Cygwin.  Is the lack of some
flags a bug, or is this just implemented in a different way.  Any
chance of supporting those flags in the future?

If somebody decides to extends /proc/cpuinfo that would be
tremendously appreciated.  I'm not expecting anything, of course, just
hoping.

Many thanks

Diego