Re: Printable Copy Of The Cygwin Users Guide]

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:

> On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 09:44:52PM -0400, Matthew O. Persico wrote:
> > On Thu, 8 May 2003 18:55:56 -0500, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
> > >there is now a decent PDF.
> >
> > It's a very good PDF.
>
> Thanks, though I really can't take any credit. It's just openjade and
> pdfjadetex automatically trying to convert the DocBook sources.

Joshua,

I'll have to agree with Matt -- it is a very good PDF, although, IMO,
having it compressed defeats the purpose a bit...  Especially compressed
with gzip -- people might want to read it before installing Cygwin, you
know.  Since it only compresses to about 190k (from the original 390k),
I'd guess having it up there uncompressed would do more good (unless web
space is a problem).

> > The only problem I can see is that your courier-fonted stuff (mostly code)
> > does not wrap correctly. In my Adobe 5.05 Reader, the
> > courier stuff went off page. What Reader are you using?
>
> Yes, the code listings are not supposed to wrap. I suppose I really should
> figure out how to mess with the margins in the TeX files, though that defeats
> the purpose of DocBook. (It's not just the reader, xpdf does the same thing.)
> Luckily there aren't very many code listings with >70 columns.

I'm not too keen on pure TeX, hopefully someone will correct me if I'm
wrong.  LaTeX, for example, uses the \textwidth and \textheight dimensions
for the text size on the page, and \topmargin and \@themargin for the
offsets from the top left corner of the page...

I'll try to come up with a way to change those margins only for code
listings (in a few weeks, though).  It would help if you send me
(privately) the .tex file(s) used as input to pdfjadetex...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II