Re: Printable Copy Of The Cygwin Users Guide]

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 11:06:33AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> > > It's a very good PDF.
> >
> > Thanks, though I really can't take any credit. It's just openjade and
> > pdfjadetex automatically trying to convert the DocBook sources.
>
> I'll have to agree with Matt -- it is a very good PDF, although, IMO,
> having it compressed defeats the purpose a bit...  Especially compressed
> with gzip -- people might want to read it before installing Cygwin, you
> know.  Since it only compresses to about 190k (from the original 390k),
> I'd guess having it up there uncompressed would do more good (unless web
> space is a problem).

WinZip et al. can uncompress GZIPs. If someone just wants to browse the
User's Guide, there's a nice HTML copy with Table of Contents. The PDF is
for people who really want to print it. Personally, I dislike websites that
make you read all their manuals in PDF format since the files are much larger
than HTML, though PDF does have its advantages. I thought about putting the
regular PDF there, but then I thought people might click just to see what
it looks like, wasting a lot of bandwidth. This discourages people who don't
*really* want the PDF by making them do a little bit of work.

> > > The only problem I can see is that your courier-fonted stuff (mostly code)
> > > does not wrap correctly. In my Adobe 5.05 Reader, the
> > > courier stuff went off page. What Reader are you using?
> >
> > Yes, the code listings are not supposed to wrap. I suppose I really should
> > figure out how to mess with the margins in the TeX files, though that defeats
> > the purpose of DocBook. (It's not just the reader, xpdf does the same thing.)
> > Luckily there aren't very many code listings with >70 columns.
>
> I'm not too keen on pure TeX, hopefully someone will correct me if I'm
> wrong.  LaTeX, for example, uses the \textwidth and \textheight dimensions
> for the text size on the page, and \topmargin and \@themargin for the
> offsets from the top left corner of the page...
>
> I'll try to come up with a way to change those margins only for code
> listings (in a few weeks, though).  It would help if you send me
> (privately) the .tex file(s) used as input to pdfjadetex...

I can do that, though like I said hand-editing the TeX source doesn't scale.