Re: Does cygstart always expand arguments?

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Jim Kleckner wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 13 May 2003, Jim Kleckner wrote:
> > I think you're confused about what cygstart does.  Cygstart is for
> > situations when, given a data file, you want to run the associated
> > application, like double-clicking it in explorer.  While you can use it to
> > launch .exe's (by definition), it's probably not what you want in this
> > case.  Try invoking gvim without cygstart, i.e., simply
> >
> > $ gvim "file with spaces.txt"
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >       Igor
>
> Running with
>    gvim "file with spaces.txt" &
> is close to what I want but it is still
> attached to the shell as a subprocess.
> cygstart will nicely launch a completely
> independent process.  So that I can exit
> the original bash and not have any issues
> with accidentally foregrounding that process.
>
> I do have the .txt file type associated with
> gvim but I use a text editor frequently to look
> at arbitrary file types or file types that
> correctly are registered to other programs.
> e.g. .html.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion though.
> Jim

Jim,

Yes, the above is a very valid reason - I haven't thought of that.
FYI, the following works for me:

cygstart gvim '"file with spaces.txt"' '"another file with spaces.txt"'

Hope this helps,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II