[Fwd: Re: moving '/']

Sorry. I meant for this to go to the list.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: moving '/'
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 16:15:39 -0400
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.) <lhall@rfk.com>
To: linda w (cyg) <cygwin@tlinx.org>

linda w (cyg) wrote:
Where all / what files do I need to change to move the 'root' of my
cygwin installation?  Should I just search on "/root" (the name of my
cyg-root) and change them by hand?  Would it just be /etc (and subdirs)
files and maybe a registry entry or so?

Cygwin doesn't use the registry...  OK, it does but you don't need to
know that.  Suggesting mucking with the registry gets you near booted
off this list.  Forget the registry.

The recommended approach for this is to uninstall and reinstall.
Setup is made to provide a working environment.

If you insist on moving your installation manually, you assume all
responsibility for doing so and the risks of damaging your installation.
Doing so at your own peril and wthout the blessings or subsequent support
of this list.  OK, now that formalities are out of the way, check out
"mount --help".  That's all you really need to know.  Just unmount "/",
"/usr/bin", and "/usr/lib", move your Cygwin installation directory to
the place you want it and then recreate the above mount points to point
to your new location.

If that doesn't work, don't come a cryin' to us! ;-)

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746