Re: Setup.exe sugestion/annoyance

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
On Wed, 21 May 2003, Steve Fairbairn wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Faylor [mailto:cgf-rcm@cygwin.com]
Sent: 21 May 2003 15:33
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Setup.exe sugestion/annoyance

Primer on how not to get free software problems fixed:

1) Download free software.

2) Notice that the free software doesn't work exactly the way you want.

3) Assume that the reason the free software doesn't work the way you
  want it to is because someone is missing something very obvious.
  Do no research to prove that theory.  Assume that you are the
  very first person to notice the problem and decide to scold
  the free software developers.

4) Send offended email.

5) Receive email from developer telling you why things work the way
  they do.

5) Respond in insulting fashion to the developer who volunteers time to
  work on free software.

6) Speculate, while doing no research, that the bug in the free software
  program is probably fixable by using a proprietary software product
  available for purchase for many $$$.

6) Suggest that bug in free software was purposely introduced.

7) Wait for problem to be fixed, basking in the warm knowledge that you've
  done everything possible to help the volunteer developers of the free
  software.

Why isn't this is the FAQ? I've found usability bug in the FAQ that'd only take the FAQ maintainer seconds to change, by loading it up in Microsoft Word XP, copy and pasting this into it, making it produce new HTML, and saving.

What a crime against humanity this is.

Steve Fairbairn.

Ah, yes, perhaps we should have an "Answers For Dummies" section of the
FAQ (external, I bet) that repeats all the answers to dummy questions and
statements, like CGF's answer above, and the sample question/statement
kindly supplied by Steve.  We might have to distribute it compressed,
though, as it's likely to fill up with junk pretty quickly.  In fact, we
should probably have a paid subscription to it. ;-)
	Igor

How about a ticker line at the top and bottom of the Cygwin home page
that continuously scrolls a series of questions and answers ad nauseam?
Or maybe we need a Flash pane that would pummel folks with frenetic,
cascading questions and answers in multi-colored text in varying fonts
and point sizes?  That should be an attention grabber, no?  I'm sure it
will distract folks actually trying to *read* the web page but there can't
be more than 2 or 3 of those so it wouldn't be a big deal, right?

Oh and I don't think there should be more than 4 questions that comprise
this barrage.  I know it seems like a small number but if you review the
archives, I think you'll find that this will actually fill the need quite
well.  Of course, if that's overwhelming for some, we can have a "premium"
service that trims out the fat for a fee.

Wha'd ya think?

Holliston, MA 01746