Cygwin symlinks with .lnk suffix

Evening folks,

Here's a funny one -- on XP Pro with cygwin 1.3.22-1. (cygcheck attached)

The FAQ says, regarding symlinks,

"While Cygwin shortcuts are shown without the ".lnk" suffix in `ls'
output, non-Cygwin shortcuts are shown with the suffix."

However, I've just noticed that all of my cygwin symlinks are showing up
with the suffix! Including such things as

./etc/hosts.lnk
./etc/networks.lnk
./etc/protocols.lnk

which is a bit weird. I don't recall changing anything that would affect
this.

The suffix seems to be there by default but not be there if I look for the
file without it -- easier to show by example:

Andrew Clegg@fourier /
$ ls /etc | fgrep hosts
hosts.allow
hosts.deny
hosts.lnk

Andrew Clegg@fourier /
$ ls /etc/hosts
/etc/hosts

Andrew Clegg@fourier /
$ ls /etc/hosts.lnk
/etc/hosts.lnk

I don't know if this will cause any problems to any programs -- but I'm
curious as to why it's happened, it didn't used to. Also for aesthetic
reasons it'd be nice if they didn't show up as .lnk in directory listings.

On a (maybe) unrelated subject -- the user's guide says that cygwin.bat
sets some default environment variables before starting bash.

(at http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-env.html)

Mine doesn't though, it just looks like this:

@echo off

D:
chdir D:\cygwin\bin

bash --login -i

Is it supposed to set anything or are the docs out of date?

Cheers,

Andrew.