Re: Writing mathematical formulas

On Sun, 25 May 2003, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Alex,
>
> At 08:28 2003-05-25, Alex Vinokur wrote:
>
> >"Randall R Schulz" <rschulz@sonic.net> wrote in message 5.2.1.1.2.20030524222126.03930a78@pop.sonic.net">news:5.2.1.1.2.20030524222126.03930a78@pop.sonic.net...
> > > Alex,
> > >
> > > There is a complete TeX package available under Cygwin.
> > > Randall Schulz
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >I worked with Microsoft Equation 3.0 in Word.
> >But I have never worked with TeX package.
> >
> >I have read man tex. However I need any sample of invocation and using tex.
> >For instance, how to create that :
> >news://news.gmane.org/baqlq2$6vr$1@main.gmane.org ?
>
> You'll never learn TeX from the man page. That'll only tell you how to
> invoke the tools. I think it's fair to say the TeX document preparation
> is an art. Certainly a skill, and not one easily come by, for the most
> part. And certainly WYSIWYG it ain't! (Though for all I know there are
> WYSIWYG front-ends for synthesizing TeX equations.)
>
> There's tutorial information out there, but I'm not qualified to make
> suggestions. Search the net.

> Randall Schulz

Alex,

There are plenty of tutorials available on-line.  I would recommend
<http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/>, which contains
plenty of links to tutorials, references, etc.  You could also search
Google for "LaTeX math formulas" if you need help specifically on that.
I'm not aware of any WYSIWYG tools working under Cygwin (LyX is one, but I
don't think it's actually ported).

OTOH, the LaTeX math interface is *very* intuitive.  For example, the
message you cited would be produced by something like this:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
This is an example of integrals.

$\int \sqrt{a - bx} \; dx$

$t = a - bx$; $dt = -b \; dx$

$dx = -\frac{dt}{b}$

P.S. $a = k^3$

Thanks.
\end{document}

Just install TeTeX, cut/paste the above (from \documentclass{article} to
\end{document}) into a file called "aaa.tex", and run "latex aaa.tex;
dvips aaa.dvi".  You can then view the above with GhostView.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu