Re: is getpass function in cygwin obsolete?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Corinna Vinschen" <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: is getpass function in cygwin obsolete?

> On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 03:58:33PM +0800, Carlo Florendo wrote:
> > [getpass]
> >
> > "This function is obsolete.  Do not use it."
> >
> > http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/unistd.h.html
> > and it labels the function as "legacy".
> >
> > I've googled the definition of legacy functions using the keywords:
> > 1. "legacy functions"
> > 2.  C, "legacy code"
> > [...]
> > but I could only guess what legacy code means.   (obsolete?, deprecated?, not supported anymore?)
>
> "Legacy" are functions which are defined in some early OSes (say,
> System 7) and which have turned out to be not exactly useful or
> their definition is dumb or something.  They are obsolete, deprecated
> and not really supported anymore ;-)  They won't live any longer
> than absolutely necessary and we will stop supporting it really soon
> now, probably in 2045 or so.

Thanks a lot for that Corinna :)  I've read further on the opengroup's documentation on getpass and under the Application Usage
section, it says "This function was marked LEGACY since it provides no functionality which a user could not easily implement, and
its name is misleading".

So does my alternative mean that I'd implement my own routine to read passwords with nothing at all being echoed, or is there a
newer function that has overridden getpass and is provided under cygwin?

Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Carlo