RE: Download from internet = 1Mb?! (potential FAQ entry)

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:

> > From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf Of Christopher Faylor
>
> > >Fergus
> > >
> > >PS. I _think_ this is as simple as you can get. If anybody notices a
> > >redundant step or unnecessary complication, please say.
> >
> > FWIW, the above is exactlhy how I would do this.  So, that's either very
> > scary or somewhat reassuring, I suppose.
>
> FWIW (once again) I currently have a dual boot Win98SE/Win2000 machine using
> the very same installation of cygwin for *BOTH* OS'es...
> -> using the mount command similarily to what was mentioned earlier in this
> thread.
> (Hmm... does that scary thing apply here? ;-)
>
>  Things SEEM to be functioning properly. Might be that problems arise if I
> use setup.exe from W2K one time, then from W98SE next time... Any thoughts?
> (
> i.e. registry entries?
>      timestamp in [cf]:\cygwin\etc\timestamp ? C: = W98SE, F: = W2K
> )
>
>  NOTE HERE: My actual use of cygwin so far has been very limited. Which
> might be why I have not found any problems with the above yet. (I'm building
> up steam to get going ;)

Hannu,

A side note: since the two versions of Windows don't share the registry,
you only need to do "mount" once, on the machine on which you didn't run
setup.

Now, setup uses the same mount info to find the existing installation, so
I don't see why it wouldn't work.  What might not work is the saved local
package cache directory - as the two versions of Windows have different
ideas as to which drive is C:.  However, if you had another
partition/drive that was seen as the same drive letter (D:) by both
Windows versions, you could keep the package cache on that drive and not
change anything in setup at all.  Another thing to beware of is changing
the Cygwin root on either system.  As long as you don't do that, and use
setup only to upgrade, there should be no difference.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu