RE: Makefile *** missing separator

>> I have a question about gnumake under cygwin...
>> I am getting an error "*** missing separator" compliling using a
>> home-baked makefile.
>
> I believe "separator" in makefiles equals the TAB character.
>
> a) Ensure that you type them at apropriate positions ($ info make)
> b) Ensure that your editor *keeps* them where you typed them
> (i.e. do not use notepad - or similar tools)
>
>/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - Micro Computer Systems, 59~14'N, >17~12'E
> <=> degree

Hi,

Just to confirm... This isn't anything to do with tab characters. That was the first thing I checked (mentioned in the original post).

I have done some more digging... Here is the line where the missing separator message comes up.
$(LIB): $(LIB)($(OBJS)) $(OBJS) <----- ERROR REFERS TO THIS LINE
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ $(LDLIBS) $^
It turns out that when the variable "LIB" is not defined, make is expanding it to be a single space character. On all other platforms that I have used this setup on, an undefined variable comes out as an empty string, and doesn't cause a problem since this expands to an empty rule. Whats more, the test "#ifdef..." comes back with TRUE in this case (should be FALSE). If I define $(LIB) to be empty earlier (ie using the line
LIB :=
then it correctly expands the rule and #ifdef works properly. This only breaks down when LIB hasn't been defined...

I mentioned in the original post that this exact setup works fine on Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, SolarisX86 - Cygwin seems to be the only platform where this happens. Is this a known bug in the Cygwin variant of Make?

Cheers,

Andrew Jacka