Thread.start()

Greetings. I hope this is the appropriate way to correspond with the list.

I have been building an rmi client/server program using cygwin.
my development environment is the jdk1.3.1 08. The GNU bash is version
2.05b.0(9)-release (i686-pc-cygwin). My problem is when
I try to start the rmiregistry. When I type "rmiregistry &" I get:

java.rmi.RemoteException: failed to export: class gnu.java.rmi.dgc.DGCImpl
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Thread.start called
but threads are not available.

I have read through the list and it seems that this is a common problem
with gcc but I am using the JDK under Cygwin (and ontop of XP).

Any help at this point would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Peter