Re: subprocess i/o interaction with shell (bash&cmd): shells compete for input with user program!

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 10:30:52AM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
>So, how can I exit driver and have the shell notice that its child
>(driver) left a heir (runtime) and that the shell (bash & cmd) should
>wait for runtime to finish.

Am I reading this correctly?  You have two processes reading standard
input at the same time?  The expected behavior in that situation is that
it is unpredictable which process gets which keystroke.  You want the
parent of the parent of a process to know that there is a grandchild
process sitting around waiting for input and have the grandparent (bash
or cmd) wait for the grandchild to finish?

Under cygwin you'd accomplish this by having the parent process use one
of the "exec" calls.  There is no way to do what you want in a normal
Windows program.

cgf
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.