Re: Assembler messaes:FATAL can't create /cygdrive....

Hi,

Replies inline below.

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Guy wrote:

> G'day all,
> I've recently installed cygwin v1.5.0-1 and gcc v3.2.3 on my machine

FYI, cygwin 1.5.0 is a test release...  It should still work, but you
might also try it with 1.3.22 and let this list know if there's a
regression in 1.5.0...

> (windows ME) but am having a nightmare getting gcc to work!
> I was running configure thus
> sh configure --prefix=c:/fltk-1.1.4/fltk-1.1.4rc1/

I don't think it's wise to pass Win32 paths to a shell script.  Some
Cygwin programs understand Win32 paths, but it's better to use POSIX paths
all around.  For more information, "man cygpath".

> and getting...
>
> checking for gcc...   gcc
> checking for C compiler default output...  configure:error:C compiler cannot
> create executables.

The file "config.log" should tell you exactly what went wrong there.

> To try to work out what was wrong I wrote a simple hello_world.c program to
> test things. when I went to compile with
> gcc -I/syg/usr/include -o hello.o hello_world.c
> I received the following
> Assembler messages:
> Error: can't create /cygdrive/c/TEMP/ccJ6snL.o: No such file or directory

This is because your "TMP" or "TEMP" shell variable was set to "c:\TEMP"
by Windows.  Try doing "export TEMP=/tmp" before compiling (or put it in
your .bash_profile).

> I then created the directory /cygdrive/c/TEMP and got
> Error : can't open /cygdrive/c/TEMP/ccnsEmIl.s for reading : No such file or
> directory.

Could be a permission issue, or something to do with the "check_case"
value in the CYGWIN variable -- too little information to tell for sure.
Does "ls /cygdrive/c/TEMP" work?

At a guess, this should go away with using "export TEMP=/tmp", anyway.

> from all this I gather that when I installed gcc the directory /cygdrive..
> should have been created? with some stuff in it. I know f.. all about how
> the assembler does its stuff!

No, gcc uses the value of the TEMP variable to find out where to create
its stuff.  Set TEMP to something different, and your temporary files will
be created there.

> Can anyone tell me where I've stuffed up?
> Thanks
> Guy

You didn't -- Windows did.  I'm not quite sure why /cygdrive/c/TEMP
as the value for TEMP doesn't work for you (works for me)...  See guesses
above.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/