Re: "Using Cygwin Effectively with Windows" -- Draft of new User' s Guide section

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 10:37:04AM +0200, Peter Ring wrote:
> I'd suggest adding a warning about potential name clashes between common
> Windows and GNU utilities, e.g. 'sort' and 'find'.
>
> I've yet to find a completely safe and general way to avoid picking up
> /WINNT/system32/sort.exe rather than /usr/bin/sort, short of always
> asserting than /usr/bin is before /WINNT/system32/ (or wherever sort.exe
> would be) before invoking sort.
>
> Even though you'd never ever need the DOS legacy sort.exe or find.exe, you
> can't just remove /WINNT/system32/sort.exe; on Win2K and WinXP; it will be
> resurrected within seconds by the system. So I've acquired a habit of
>
>   chmod -x /WINNT/system32/find.exe
>   chmod -x /WINNT/system32/sort.exe

OK. This make sense now. Also I read about Lisbeth's issues with shell
scripts. I believe this is one reason recommended best practice is to
specify the full path to binaries in scripts (/usr/bin/sort). I added
a sentence to the end of the introduction:

--BEGIN
A few Windows tools, such as find.exe and sort.exe, can conflict with the
Cygwin versions; make sure that you use the full path (/usr/bin/find) or
that your Cygwin bin directory comes first in your PATH.
--END