Re: 1.5.x goes current on 2003-08-23?

Nicholas Wourms wrote:

Perl is required for many operations, and (as I'm sure Chuck will agree) having to rebase a *critical* core application *just* to get it work is unacceptable.

Hey, don't drag me into this. Rebase is (currently) a necessary evil for python and maybe perl, but I gave up maintaining perl a LONG time ago and I don't intend to stick my nose into it now. It's Gerritt's baby, and I trust him to do whatever is necessary to make stuff work. But, he's asked for help -- so help, dammit, don't carp.

There's no reason that one can't continue using the current perl 5.8.0-1 for a while after 1.5.1 goes gold. (Perl won't be able to manipulate big files or big uid's -- but it can't handle 'em now, so what's the diff?) I reckon Gerritt will keep perl in 'test' mode until he's happy with it, and not switch it over to 'current' a moment earlier.

--
Chuck