Re: init and xinetd woes

> hello all,

> I've been messing around with xinetd and init and I can't seem to get
them
> to play nicely together.

> I've checked the archives and have reinstalled xinetd, sysvinit,
> initscripts, etc., run the appropriate config files (overwriting existing
> /etc/*config files) and I still can't get init to start xinetd.

> /var/log/init.log is empty

> net start init produces the following output:

> INIT: version 2.84 booting
> INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
> INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

init is HYPER sensitive to the owner and group settings on the /var
directory.

To *just* get it working, try this:

      chown -R SYSTEM:None /var

Better security can be had with this depending on the group membership of
the
SYSTEM user:

      chown -R SYSTEM:Administrators /var

Or - if you've created a custom user, like "root":

      chown -R root:Administrators /var

Make sure that the *user* init is configured to use has write permissions:

      chmod -R 755 /var

If you want the group to have write permissions as well:

      chmod -R 775 /var

Also, consult the archives for previous discussions (like this one)

Enjoy,

Brian Kelly

(Oh - and yes - the error messages *SUCK* - obviously created for the
developers use and *not* end-users. A big PET PEEVE of mine - the
developer's ultimate revenge against the dreaded demanding and *ungrateful*
user. Actually, it's a sin of "omission" - but a sin nevertheless. Of
course they'll all cry overworked, underpaid (or not paid as the case
certainly is here - unless you work for Red Hat), "don't like it - do it
yourself", *&%$ YOU!:

etc etc. But alas - it is what it is ... I've always found the notion that
"complaints" == "ungrateful" and that I or anyone else should "thankfully"
accept whatever is created - even if takes 10 wasted hours from our lives
that could have been prevented with ten or fifteen minutes worth of effort
by the developer - *without complaint* to be a bunch of HOOEY! Add up your
ten hours, my ten hours, and the ten hours of all those before and after
and this *sin of omission* becomes quite glaring)

"WellChoice, Inc." made the following
 annotations on 08/21/2003 07:30:48 AM
Attention!  This electronic message contains information that may be legally
confidential and/or privileged.  The information is intended solely for the
individual or entity named above and access by anyone else is unauthorized.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply
immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and
delete it. Release/Disclosure Statement