Re: perl test fails

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Rob Clack wrote:

> Hmmm, don't see how it can have anything to do with the mapping of a
> networked drive, since the problem started on the NT4 box, at which time
> the scriptlet was located in /cygdrive/e/cygwin/rnc/try.
>
> Since I wanted to demonstrate that it worked on the Linux box (having
> tripped over that one originally!)  each time I hacked one copy of the
> script I then had to move to the other machine and duplicate the changes
> I'd just made.  Clearly this was error-prone, so it made sense to just
> use the copy on the Linux box.  On the NT4 it's accessible as
> /cygdrive/i/rnc/try.

Rob,

Well, it's usually a good idea to keep as many variables fixed as
possible.  By sharing the script, you've unknowingly introduced another
variable (that of SMB shares).  I'd suggest moving the script back to a
local directory, and simply copying it to the shared drive when you want
to try it on Linux.  That way you can reliably reproduce the problem on
the local drive.

> And no, I've never heard of smbntsec.  What's it mean/do?

See <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>.  It's on by
default.  FYI, it may require very careful hand-maintenance of /etc/passwd
and /etc/group (in fact, I've ended up turning it off because the
maintenance effort wasn't worth it for me).  You might wish to add
"nosmbntsec" to your CYGWIN variable.
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/