Re: sshd setup question

I followed both of those suggestions. I retried that script and it seems to
generate the key files each time it is run now. As far as that mySQL thing,
I renamed that dll file and will use another program temporarily, until I
can figure this thing out.

Once I did those two things, I still see an error that looks the same,
although the contents of the sshd.log file is now:
    /var/empty must be owned by root and not group or world-writable.

My main trouble with this is that I seem to be having trouble getting the
permissions for that directory like it says, I can get it chmod'ed to 744
easily, but I can't seem to get its ownership to root or system either one.
I am using a windows 2000 machine, although that may have been in my
cygcheck file that I sent. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get this
permission thing set.

Dan

"Larry Hall" <cygwin-lh@cygwin.com> wrote in message
5.1.0.14.0.20030901223001.01f810c8@127.0.0.1">news:5.1.0.14.0.20030901223001.01f810c8@127.0.0.1...
> ssh-host-config creates /etc/ssh_host_key*.
>
>  From your cygcheck output:
>
>   653k 2003/07/22 C:\Program Files\mysql\bin\cygwinb19.dll - os=4.0
img=1.0 sys=4.0
>                   "cygwinb19.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/7/15 18:50
>
> This will is trouble waiting to happen.  Get rid of this DLL and update
> mysql as required.
>
> Larry
>

> At 10:25 PM 9/1/2003, Dan Adams you wrote:
>

> >I am guessing this questioning might shift a little with my latest
finding.
> >Also, I have attached the cygcheck file thing that was requested at that
> >website.
> >
> >My latest finding is:
> >Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_key
> >Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> >Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
> >Disabling protocol version 1. Could not load host key
> >Disabling protocol version 2. Could not load host key
> >
> >I found this when looking in the sshd.log file that is in that directory.
> >Relating to the permissions that that gentleman mentioned in his post on
> >this list, those directories (this may not be good though) have the
> >permissions for the system account. Is there anything that speaks about
how
> >to create these keys?
> >
> >Dan
> >
> >"Larry Hall" <cygwin-lh@cygwin.com> wrote in message
> >5.1.0.14.0.20030901214533.01f6a988@127.0.0.1">news:5.1.0.14.0.20030901214533.01f6a988@127.0.0.1...
> >> OK, I'm not sure my efforts are paying off here.  I'd recommend again
that
> >> you visit <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.  It's hard to figure
things
> >> without a basis of information.  However, you'll probably find looking
> >> in the email archives helpful.  For instance, I found this with a
simple
> >> search:
> >>
> >> <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-02/msg00522.html>
> >>
> >> Seems to describe your situation to a tee, complete with solution.
Just
> >> one more reason not to use tech.erdelynet.com.  Seems your problem is a
> >> common one when following the directions at this site.
> >>
> >> If this doesn't solve your problem, I suggest uninstalling ssh and
> >> reinstalling.  Then, stay away from tech.erdelynet.com and just set
> >> things up as the Cygwin doc suggests.  Otherwise, bug
tech.erdelynet.com