Re: two versions

On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 12:22 PM, Rolf Campbell wrote:

Eduardo Osorio Armenta wrote:

Hi,
i want to test cygwin 1.5.X
but not break my set cygwin 1.3.22
so i wonder if installing cygwin 1.5.X in
another path e.g. c:\cygwin_1.5
and configuring all the PATH to my shell (cygwin.bat)
to only include c:\cygwin_1.5\bin (and all related)
would not interfere with my cygwin 1.3.22
it's that posible?
Not really.

or the registry stuff will prevent this!
Bingo.

You can do it if you switch mount tables/paths when you switch between versions.

One thing that you can do ( I do this at work because I'm working with multiple versions of cygwin for a project we are working) is to rename your 1.3.22 to something like cygwin_1_3_22 and then install the latest version. You may want to back up your registry settings just in case the installer changes them, but I don't think that it does.

Once you have everything installed, just rename the directory for the version you want to use and launch your programs. You will need to make sure that no cygwin application is running before you switch or windows will complain about renaming the directory. I don't have the change the registry because that will always be pointing to the cygwin that I want to use.

It won't let you run multiple version of cygwin at the same time, but I don't think you are trying to do that.

Peter
========
Infinity Softworks. Making scientific, financial and realtor calculators for Palm Pilots and other PDAs since 1997

Visit them today at http://www.infinitysw.com