RE: mozilla displays wrong headers from uw-imap (12/31/1969, blank subject)

> From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> Of Steve Fairbairn

> Apologies to Hannu, I clicked reply and not reply to all...

 :-] Well, I wish I knew how to set "reply-to:" for certain folders in
Outlook. I'm not sure it is possible.

<SNIP>
> > IMO a Mozilla and/or Pegasus Mail bug.
> >

> Not definately true.  The Mail/MIME encoding RFC's state that all headers
> should be CRLF no matter what the platform.  It is open to dispute quite
> whether the RFC's should still apply once the mail has finished
> it's journey
> through the ether and has been collected from the email server by such a
> tool as fetchmail.  It seems likely that Mozilla is expecting the
> CRLF's to
> remain on the headers which would probably be true if Mozilla was
> collecting
> the emails itself.  It is my guess that fetchmail is stripping
> the CR's from
> the message as it retrieves it which could well be the accepted
> practice for
> UNIX boxes, but under a cygwin text mount it should perhaps behave
> differently.

 IMO "the Standard", RFC, IEEE, ISO, CCITT or whatever may say whatever they
want in the matter - what really counts is whether the actual application
does its job or not.
 i.e. The user wants a _stable_ application, that does what its supposed
to - no matter what.
 Here this boils down to; Accept line endings in any way they are.

 ... and now I realize that this has grown into something off topic ;-)

> This is purely speculation I've not looked at the sources, but it is
> certainly true that the pop3 server should be presenting the headers with
> CRLF line endings to the client.

 IMO this shouldn't matter; parsing line endings is so basic stuff that a
piece of software that doesn't adjust for "current situation" is less usable
than it could be.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59°16.37'N, 17°12.60'E
--END OF MESSAGE--