mutt and 8 bit characters

I've seen references to this problem in the mailing list archives, but not a
suggestion for a work around or hint of a fix being on its way. The problem
is that if I try to reply to a message with 8 bit characters (e.g., UK
currency symbol, accented characters) then mutt crashes with a message about
BUGGY_ICONV.

The exact error message is:

Including quoted message...assertion "errno == E2BIG || (BUGGY_ICONV &&
(errno == EILSEQ || errno == ENOENT))" failed: file
"../mutt-1.4-1/sendlib.c", line 743
                                                                               Aborted
(core dumped)

I'm running on XP Professional with all the latest versiosn of Cygwin
packages.

Has anyone had a chance to investigate this problem? Are there any settings
in muttrc or anywhere else that might allow me to work around the problem?

Any help or suggestions much appreciated. Please cc me on any replies as I
am not on the mailing list.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold, Deputy to the Head of COS Division, Manchester Computing,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL.