Re: ntsec: changing the everyone user

At 05:23 PM 9/22/2003, Chris Rodgers you wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 05:35:20PM +0100, Chris Rodgers wrote:
>> > OK. Here is an example of the way permissions leak out to "Everyone". I
>> > create a new file, with no permissions granted to "other". Cygwin shows
>this
>> > to have worked OK. Yet in actual fact there is an ACL there giving
>Everyone
>> > some access rights. I usually choose not to have "Everyone" authorised
>to do
>> > anything on my Windows NT/2000 boxes, using Authorised Users instead.
>This
>> > way, without a valid login, you cannot get any information, including
>> > usernames and ACLs.
>> >
>> > How can I stop cygwin setting these ACLs?
>>
>> Did you have a close look to the access rights granted to everyone?
>> Otherwise, just don't use ntsec.
>>
>> Corinna
>>
>> > [...]
>> >                 Everyone:(special access:)
>> >                          READ_CONTROL
>> >                          FILE_READ_EA
>> >                          FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
>>

>For the archives (NOT for release :-)), I think that a quick hack is to
>redefine well_known_world_sid in src/winsup/cygwin/sec_helper.cc to be
>"S-1-5-11" instead of "S-1-1-0". This refers to the "Authorized Users"
>well-known group, instead of to "Everyone".

Glad you found a resolution to this for your own needs but I have to say
I'm with Corinna.  I don't see how giving everyone read access to the
security descriptor/attributes/extended attributes is a problem.  The
file still can't be accessed unless that information says that it can
for the current user.

Holliston, MA 01746