MySQL and Perl

Recently I embarked on trying to get MySQL running under Cygwin for a project I'm working on in Perl. I have downloaded both DBI and DBD for MySQL for Perl. Installing DBI was no problem. But DBD didn't work. So I searched the archives and found http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2003-02/msg01717.html which states:

DBI should build out of the box, which version (Perl, DBI, ...) did you try? To build DBD::mysql DBI needs to be installed and also the mysql client import lib libmysqlclient.a. MySQL binary mysql-3.23.43-pc-cygwin-i586.tar.bz2 including the client lib and the (not stable running) server:
http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin/mysql/

However that link goes nowhere (literally).

Additionally the readme for the DBD package states:

Windows/CygWin

Unfortunately it seems that the usual MySQL windows binaries cannot be combined with the CygWin libraries. At least I don't know how. In other words: You need to compile your own MySQL client binaries. In what follows I assume that you have downloaded and extracted the MySQL sources and the DBD::mysq sources to /usr/local/src. The following steps should do:

So where do I get the MySQL sources? (Attempting to download the source from: http://www.mysql.com/downloads/download.php?file=Downloads%2FMySQL-4.0%2Fmysql-4.0.15a.tar.gz&pick=mirror yeilds nothing but errors!).

I think it would be advantagous to have a Cygwin package for just the MySQL client and/or the MySQL libraries needed to use MySQL as well as a MySQL server compiled under Cygwin. Apparently that doesn't seem to exist.

===
Obligatory witty line: Honk If you want to see my finger