Re: compiled files under GPL?

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Matthew O. Persico wrote:

> >>?This will link your binary to the cygwin DLL by default. ?Unless
> >>?you have purchased a buy out contract from Red Hat, yes.
> >
> >?There are some exceptions, IIRC. ?For more information, see
> >?<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_8.html#SEC136>?or consult a lawyer.
> >?Igor
>
> I'm treading on very thin ice here with respect to being OT but I beg
> your indulgence. From the link above:
>
> "To cover the GNU GPL requirements, the basic rule is if you give out
> any binaries, you must also make the source available. "
>
> Which means if I use GNU GPL software to make a commercial product
> (selling and distribution implied), the product must be GPL, source
> exposed, etc.
>
> BUT, if I use GPL in a bank to create software used by bank customers
> or in back overnight process, since I'm NOT selling the software, I
> don't have to expose squat. Yes? If so, then the GPL-is-viral argument
> goes by the wayside for all non-software development companies.
>
> Is that a reasonable interpretation?

IANAL
YANALATEYHSMBSI

In-house use is normally not in violation of the GPL.

In your example, as long as your program is never sold or distributed in
binary form (ie. you did not sell or give it to the bank in binary
form because the bank owned your labor that created it), and the bank
never sells or distributes the binaries outside itself, I think you are
ok.

Since these types of distinctions look legally cloudy to me, I would
hesitate strongly to agree with your "goes by the wayside for all
non-software development companies" statement.

That said, you should consult a lawyer.  No one on this list is
a qualified GPL authority.  Only the courts can make a determination.

CGF, the closest person here to an authority, hates GPL conversations.
Don't expect him to speak up unless you are clearly in violation, or this
conversation has already (as it probably has) gone on too long.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer