various sundry things

hey all,

First of all, I'm looking at my email as/of last night, and although
given the circumstances I pretty much still think what I said is
accurate (although the pedant in me cringes at the misuse of the word
'disabuse'), I shouldn't have let my temper get the better of me.

I have to pat myself on the head sometimes and say 'Ed -- diplomacy
and tact is a *good* thing'.  Sometimes I forget that.

Second of all, I believe that I've made my point. I know pretty much where
to go, what to do, and who to talk to in order to make an effective MINGW
mode for cygwin. Cultural matters are a different matter altogether,
which I suspect is the cause of the split between mingw and cygwin
in the first place.

And third of all, just to stay slightly on topic here, msys indeed
has to do with mingw and is therefore a valid topic of discussion
and a valid place to patch cygwin for a MINGW mode. There's
an obvious example here - uname. 'configure' uses 'uname' to pick up the
system type. If cygwin still thinks it is cygwin on configure, it
will pick up the wrong compile flags, defines, etc, ie: totally futzing
up the build process. Users are either forced to cross-compile - or hack -
to make it work.

And finally, I'm taking a break from this discussion. You can say stuff,
either in private or in public about it, but I'm giving you fair warning
that I may not respond.

Ed

(ps - forgive if a dup, the other message seems to not have gotten through.)