RE: setup hangs during postinstall

I think you're in a time warp Steve.  Most of this has already been
discovered/presented.

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Steve Fairbairn wrote:

> OK, again with simple tests...  I've added a printf to the very start of
> main in cygpath.cc...
[snip]
> Which implies main isn't even being reached.

We already know the hang is well before entry to main.  See:

> I have attached strace to the process once it has hung, but there is no
> output until the process recieves a signal from kill and then the output
> just seems to be the signal handling/termination (attached anyway).

We already know that attaching strace is not useful.  See:

and others I don't have time to find.

> > In any event, can you set the CYGWIN_DEBUG=cygpath and maybe do some
> > search and destroy debugging to see precisely where it is hanging?
> >
> I can't get CYGWIN_DEBUG=cygpath to do anything at all, inside bash or from
> setup.

Did you export it inside bash?  Was your cygwin1.dll compiled with
--enable-debugging?

Under setup, we knew this too.  In fact, you quoted part of it below.  See:

for more detail.

> >From another email:
> > Are you saying that there was no popup?  That would imply that
> > CYGWIN_DEBUG is not in the environment.  You could just hack on the
> > code in dcrt0.cc to automatically pop up a gdb when command line
> > contains cygpath, as a temporary measure, of course.
> >
> Tried this as well, but I may be ammending the wrong code, or my simple
> change isn't good enough...

I don't think this will help either, but I could be wrong here.

We think it is hanging before it even loads cygwin1.dll.  In fact, the
hanging process doesn't even need to be a Cygwin one.  See:

> The rest of the function is unchanged.  When I use cygpath on the command
> line in bash, all works as it did before as if my addition doesn't exist.  I
> did make sure no cygwin processes were running, I did remake and install the
> dll, I did copy it into /bin over the top of my existing debugging dll.

I don't know what is wrong with your code.  (Part ignorance, part no time
to look at it.)

> I'm running out of random things to prod at in random ways ;)
>
> If any of this is being any use, please let me know.  If anyone can tell me
> what I'm doing wrong with my attempts above then please yell.  If anyone
> wants me to try anything else and can explain it well enough for me to do,
> then brign it on.

Your help is appreciated, but try to be a little less random so as to not
reproduce known results.

I am running out of things to try too, but if I figure out something
useful that I don't have time for, I'll let you know.

PS. I was hoping that this might have lead to a next step suggestion:

I'm getting lost in which tests I still need to try or retry.  If anyone
has any open requests, please re-present them for Steve and I so we can
catch up.  Thanks.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer