Re: pwd option to return windows path

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 05:09:32PM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:

>>>If your "terse cgf reply decoder ring" has not yet arrived, you may be
>>>interested in "man cygpath", e.g.  "cygpath -w `pwd`".
>>
>>yeah, I did a little more mucking around and came up with cygpath.  Its
>>not the most obvious place to find that information though, nothing in
>>unix screams out 'cygpath is what you want!!!' since there *are* no
>>unix analogs.  I think that the same options that are on cygpath should
>>also be on pwd; this might make things a little more user friendly.
>
>You will quickly find that the Cygwin motto is that things are the way
>they are because the developers are just mean.  Not being one of them,
>I can't really read their minds but I would imagine this has come to be
>after fielding way too many questions on the mailing lists that boil
>down to "Cygwin isn't doing what I thought it should", or some
>permutation thereof.
>
>In their defense, I should point out that this one is covered in the
>FAQ: <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#SEC37>

FAQ?  FAQ?  What is that supposed to mean?  Why can't you just speak
English?  How are we supposed to know that we should look in obscure
places for information that should just be presented at the cygwin
prompt?

In fact, I would go so far as to say that the information should be
audibly present whenever you hit enter in the bash shell.  How hard can
it be for bash to play a simple .wav file which says something like "If
you want to convert to Windows paths, use the cygpath program.  See man
cygpath for more details."

?

cgf

"Si usted desea convertir a las trayectorias de Windows, utilice el
programa del cygpath.  Vea el cygpath del hombre para más detalles."

"Wenn Sie in Windows Wege umwandeln möchten, verwenden Sie das cygpath
Programm.  Sehen Sie Mann cygpath für mehr Details."

"Se desiderate convertirsi in percorsi di Windows, usi il programma del
cygpath.  Veda il cygpath dell'uomo per più particolari."

"Se você quiser se converter aos trajetos de Windows, use o programa do
cygpath.  Veja o cygpath do homem para mais detalhes."