Re: long timeouts on shutdown/log off

Ok, more info

The cron tasks are running as normal when I try to log off, its just that
windows can't forcibly terminate them when it tries to close everything and
has to sit there waiting for the cron jobs to finish (can be up to 30
minutes for backing up a lot of changes).

The pre-20th September version of cygwin has no problem terminating the cron
jobs (I still have several machines running that version and the same
script), so what's changed in the latest version to cause this?

I'm beginning to suspect It probably is to do with Pierre's permission
stuff.  Because the cron jobs are run from a daemon running as SYSTEM, the
user log off procedure can't kill the parent task, but the children tasks
*are* user tasks and maybe it can't kill these because they were created by
SYSTEM?  Just clutching at straws as right now I don't have my backup system
working (unless I put up with 30 minute logoff times)  and I want it back
:-(

Any help much appreciated.

---------------------------------
Q-Games, Dylan Cuthbert.
http://www.q-games.com

"Christopher Faylor" <cgf-rcm@cygwin.com> wrote in message
20031017153138.GB10560@redhat.com">news:20031017153138.GB10560@redhat.com...
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 07:50:34PM +0900, Dylan Cuthbert wrote:
> >Ok, here are the ps results... I can see three cron tasks with the I
field
> >set (Interactive?) which is very odd as my backup script doesn't have any
> >input (I've attached the script and the output)
>
> 'I'nput.  That would indicate that cron is waiting for some kind of file
I/O.