Re: Q: cygwin setup problems

At 11:07 AM 10/29/2003, enok@lysator.liu.se you wrote:

>When I run setup.exe to install new packages the process hangs when
>copying the files into the file system. The reason is that setup creates
>all directories and files as write protected (dr--r--r--) and then fails
>to fill the newly created directory with files (because of the write
>protection).
>
>What is the problem?
>
>My platform is Windows 2000 with NTFS file system. I use CYGWIN=ntsec.
>After installing the initial cygwin packages I noticed that all files
>had protection rwxrwxrwx. I changed that of course and now all files are
>instead created r--r--r--. Why? Please help!

It's a Windows thing.  By default, children of a parent automatically
inherit the permissions of the parent.  You can change that of course but
your previous attempts at "fiddling" with the install tree didn't fare
very well so I wouldn't recommend you do more experimentation here (unless
you plan to live with the consequences and/or find the solutions to the
problems you cause).  The two options that I think will work the best for
you is to simply change the permissions globally to add write and execute
permissions where appropriate or to simply remove your current
installation and reinstall, making sure that the directory under which
you're installing Cygwin has reasonably open permissions.

Holliston, MA 01746