Re: launching a windows program remotely using ssh

At 04:39 PM 10/27/2003, Rob S.i.k.l.o.s. you wrote:
>From: "Larry Hall" <cygwin-lh@cygwin.com>
>
>> At 02:33 PM 10/27/2003, Rob S.i.k.l.o.s. you wrote:
>> >Hello,
>> >
>> >I have an ssh (cygwin) server running on a windows 2000 machine, and I
>want
>> >to start a windows program on this machine using a remote command.
>> >
>> >My problem is that I can't get the window of the program to display
>> >anywhere.
>> >
>> >For example:
>> >I run something like "ssh user@computer /c/winnt/system32/notepad.exe"
>> >
>> >When I ran this command, I was expecting to see a notepad window open on
>> >"computer", but none appeared.  Is there any way to accomplish this?
>> >The process *did* start, because it was listed in the task manager.
>>
>> See the "--interactive" flag of cygrunsrv.  You need to install ssh (or
>> any service) with this if you want the service to interact with the
>> "desktop"
>
>right - that totally works.  Thanks a lot.
>
>Now, is there any way of having sshd run being able to interact with the
>desktop, but without having an empty console window hanging around?
>
>I guess that was probably the point of not allowing sshd to interact with
>the desktop in the first place, huh?

Right. ;-)

Since it's a console program, if you allow it to interact with the
desktop, it's going to create a console for itself.  I suppose you
could fiddle with running 'cygstart' or 'run' to try to get it to hide
the console.  That's without fiddling with sshd code that is.  I haven't
really investigated any of these options but it's just my way of saying
that it is quite possible to get a console program to hide the console
window.  See CreateProcess()/STARTUPINFO documentation for the details on
the internals.

Holliston, MA 01746