RE: Problems building cygwin from source

<SNIP>
> > ../src/configure --prefix=/usr/install --enable-debugging -v
> >        ^
> >   no 'winsup'
>
> Thanks Chris,
>
> I think I foolishly picked this up from some misinformation in the mailing
> list thread "Can't build cygwin from CVS: configure error", but the
> documentation on http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC104 is
> perfectly clear.
> Just didn't notice the difference myself.
>
> Thanks again,
> Pete

 IIRC, that thread had at least one specific cause; there was a temporary
cvs (databease?) error. This error caused the "top" configure to not appear
after an initial cvs checkout (i.e. on an empty /src dir).

 Reading the docs and FAQ is essential, though beeing a bit sparse at times
they still are correct - in hindsight.
I've been fighting this sparseness to some extent ;-)  (HI CGF!)

In telecom terms; IMO there needs to be a slight redundancy in the data
transmitted via the docs. Thus allowing for error checking and possibly even
correction on errors.

 In general terms this means; add a word or two after a group of
instructions to tell what the outcome of the instruction group _should_ give
as result.

And for CGF; this was NOT a "the docs are bad" inlay, it was one that
lobbies for improvements. ;-)

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59?16.37'N, 17?12.60'E
-- printf("LocalTime: UTC+%02d\n",(DST)? 2:1); --
--END OF MESSAGE--