Re: OpenGL and cygwin

Suresh Venkatasubramanian wrote:

So I compiled without -mno-cygwin. According to cygcheck, I get the
correct dlls (dump enclosed below). This time the program runs silently,
and exits without popping up a window and with no errors. From
appropriately placed print statements, it appears that the program is
having trouble creating a window with glutCreateWindow and appears to die
silently before completing that step (or just after).

To me, that means your program is not calling glutInit before glutCreateWindow.

As I mentioned earlier, I will try to create a pared-down version that
recreates the problem: might be easier to circulate the src then, if
anyone wants to try their hand at compiling it...

euclid 8:00pm [3d_diameter]> cygcheck main.exe
Found: .\main.exe
main.exe
  C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNEL32.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntdll.dll
  C:\WINDOWS\System32\GLU32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\msvcrt.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\OPENGL32.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\System32\ADVAPI32.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\System32\RPCRT4.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\System32\GDI32.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\System32\USER32.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\System32\DDRAW.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\System32\DCIMAN32.dll
  .\glut32.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\WINMM.dll

Let's clarify something: the GLUT dll in Cygwin's OpenGL package does not use any cygwin function. It should not make your program depend on cygwin1.dll if _all_ your own source files are compiled with -mno-cygwin. I don't understand why you insist on using NVDIA's glut32.dll. Cygwin's is GLUT version 3.7 too; I suggest that you try to link with it to make sure that NVDIA's dll is not the cause of your problem.

André Bleau, Cygwin's OpenGL package maintainer.

Please address all questions and problem reports about Cygwin's OpenGL package to cygwin@cygwin.com .