RE: Problems with Make, VPATH and MS-DOS paths

Sorry, if what I've written doesn't apply to your needs, but why so sceptic?
 cygpath doesn't help with VPATH specifically, but with the use of what make
has found based on VPATH.

-- info man, excerpt --
   This is done with the "automatic variables" such as `$^' (*note
Automatic Variables: Automatic.).  For instance, the value of `$^' is a
list of all the prerequisites of the rule, including the names of the
directories in which they were found, and the value of `$@' is the
target.  Thus:

     foo.o : foo.c
             cc -c $(CFLAGS) $^ -o $@
-- end of excerpt --

To give you the idea what I'm thinking of:

	foo.o : foo.c
		arg1=`cygpath -d $^`; \
            arg2=`cygpath -d $@`; \
            cc -c $(CFLAGS) $arg1 -o $arg2

...should IMO be possible. NOTE that the above HAS NOT BEEN TESTED and *IS
NOT* expected to work as it is written - look at it as "pseudocode" with a
slight "bash-tint".

If the example above doesn't produce the expected result, then try creating
a (bash)script that you launch with/from (the) make/Makefile - with args as
indicated above. In that script you then have the liberty to use cygpath in
any  manner necessary to achieve what you wish.

NOTE: There is a patch in the mail archives that makes cygpath more fit for
"$^" processing.
Here:
 http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2003-q4/msg00063.html
 - you need to get the cygpath source from cvs - as this doesn't seem to
have made it into binary builds on the mirrors yet.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59+16.37'N, 17+12.60'E
-- printf("LocalTime: UTC+%02d\n",(DST)? 2:1); --
--END OF MESSAGE--