EOF error

Hello,

  I am new to the list and using cygwin. I read through the other posts
about EOF errors and I tried those solutions. But I am still having a
problem. I am learning to program in fortran. I am using gcc to compile the
following program:

	PROGRAM TEMP
*This program converts Celsius to Farenheit		*
*							*
*The variable used is:					*
*	DEGC	: degress celsius			*

	REAL DEGC, DEGF
	PRINT * , 'ENTER THE TEMPERATURE IN DEGRESS C:'
        READ * , DEGC
	DEGF = 9 / 5 * DEGC + 32
	PRINT * , 'DEGRESS FARENHEIT:' , DEGF
        END

I compiled it with this command

gcc -o projec -c projec.f

The program compiles but will not run when I type
./projec

It receive the following error:

./projec: 124: Syntax error: EOF in backquote substitution

If anyone can help that would be great.

Thank you for your time.

Ara