Re: Cygwin port of Perl broken on Win32? Or does Cygwin not runon win32?

I've always wanted to put cygwin tools *first* in my path before win32 tools since
in some cases, there are hidden win32 tools that obscure well known *nix tools, like
'find' (being a primitive file string search).

Do you actually install both Perl installs? I'm still running on a laptop for my main desktop...not
having the best of luck these days since Dell decided to go middle-ware-only dealer and
not go for cutting edge HW in business capable computers (they have their consumer line of
Wide-screen laptops, incompatible with most monitors, making them unsuitable for business, but
make their business sized laptops incompatible with any docking station -- also incompatible with
business usage -- forcing you to use lattitudes where you pay $1000 more for less features.

Marketing poopoo all over customers -- like their customer support -- business customers will
get support personel who can speak english, but home customers still get sexist thick accent
Indians who only know how to read a script and "act" real polite (it's the left over Britsh influence)
while telling you to * off. It took me 10 months to solve what should have been a simple 3 week
problem because they don't talk to each other on each side of the ocean and the Indian side has no authority to do anything, but the american side that has authority won't talk with customers, so you
go around in circles for 10 months to fix screwed up orders that used to be fixable in 3 weeks.

It's an attempt to tire out the customer because Indians can talk on the phone for hours without really
saying or accomplishing anything and get paid, per year about the cost of 2-3 machines, so it's
very cost effective to route customer problem calls to India where all but the most diehard customers
will just give up. It was only the possibility of losing large business customers that got them special
treatment and the ability to contact US support centers (which they'll have to restaff, most likely with
ex employees hired back as contractors so Dell won't have to pay benefits. I hear they took
business management courses from Microsoft on how to \detain\ the best without really paying
for them.

:-/

Joaquin wrote:

I just always use non-Cygwin tools first before Cygwin ports.
Thus, for Perl, I use the ActiveState Perl in my path ahead of the
Cygwin perl.  I also do the same for other things like Apache.