Re: file permissions issues on creation with cygwin 1.5.5-1?

At 10:57 PM 12/10/2003, Steven Hartland you wrote:
> [...]

Steve, please make sure you don't quote people's email addresses in
the body of your replies.  This goes to the list and becomes fodder
for spam harvesters.

OK, so for your example using 'tar', who is "another user"?  How do you
become this other user?  Is this user a local Windows account?  Is this
user accessing the file via Windows tools or Cygwin tools?  If that user
is using Cygwin tools, is the user in /etc/passwd?  Does it share any
groups in common with 'root' (this is, by the way, not a good name for
a user - Cygwin is instituting a 'root' user with uid 0 for better UNIX
compatibility)?

Cygwin doesn't create files with the "inherited" permissions of Windows.
But it doesn't have to do that in order for others to be able to access
the files.  I've always had inheriting of Windows permissions turned off
here.  No problems.  What groups are listed for 'root' as far as Windows
is concerned?

Holliston, MA 01746