Re: Unable to compile cygwin

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 12:39:04AM +0000, Arash Partow wrote:
>I don't see how your sarcastic remarks relate to what i said...
>
>>Yeah.  You're right.  It's better to just assume it's gloriously
>>trustworthy if it's free software and maliciously bad if it comes from
>>Microsoft.
>
>all i said was that its harder to prove something in a negative context
>rather than a positive one, I didn't say OSS was more secure than
>proprietary s/w.

Yeah.  I read what you wrote.  Since I never advocated proving a
negative, it made little sense.

>from a security pov everything is like a chain, and regardless of
>how strong some links in the chain are the old adage is true in
>that your chain is only as strong as its weakest link, meaning
>regardless of the fact that you have a good sense of s/w
>development or keep an eye open of buffer over run situations and
>the alike you will still have a weak link in the chain and that
>is the end user.

Cygwin is less secure than Windows.  Hence, using your analogy, Cygwin
is the weakest link in the chain and it makes Windows less secure.  It's
hard to imagine how anyone would think that is a good thing or how
anyone would think that getting the word about about cygwin's flaws was
unnecessary.

Cygwin isn't insecure because Windows is insecure.  Cygwin is insecure
because it wasn't designed to be secure from the start.

>just imagine the things you could achieve if you spend the brain power
>you waste on coming up with such sarcastic remarks on this mailing
>list, on other more productive things to do with cygwin...
>
>Just imagine.

Once again, I am impaled by your razor sharp observations and amazing
insight.  I can only hang my head in shame and promise to devote the
next thirty seconds to thinking about cygwin rather than feeding the
dog.  I think that should make up for the lost time from my previous
response.

cgf