Re: Bug in fstream code and gcc-2 package?

At 06:23 AM 1/4/2004, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

>Hallo Beman,
>
>Am Sonntag, 4. Januar 2004 um 02:55 schriebst du:
>
>>>$ g++ -mno-cygwin fstream.cpp
>> In file included from
>> /usr/local/include/c++/3.3.1/bits/locale_facets.h:166,
>
>The default location for Cygwin & MinGW files distributed by the
>Cygwin project is /usr but not /usr/local, I suggest that you try to
>setup a new Cygwin tree (after backing up your old tree).  Somehow
>this looks wrong to me.  Possibly some old headers around there under
>/usr/local?

Not just old headers - there is a full installation of gcc 3.3.1 there.

OK, I renamed /cygwin to /old-cygwin, and then did a complete cygwin reinstall.

That clears the problem with fstream.cpp!

I think I know what happened - at some point after gcc 3.3.1 became available, I downloaded the source and built it myself because 3.3.1 wasn't available from cygwin yet. That must have been what created the /usr/local copy of stuff. Then later when gcc from cygwin was installed, the /usr/local gcc stuff wasn't removed, and it somehow interferes with the cygwin supplied version.

I'll run a rebuild of the full Boost regression tests to see what happens in real use...

While waiting for that to finish, I'd like to thank you for the prompt and helpful response. I occasionally report compiler errors to Comeau, Intel, Metrowerks, and Microsoft, and the experience ranges anywhere from pleasurable to frustrating to anger producing. Cygwin is high on the pleasurable end of the scale.

OK, the tests are finished. Good news! Eleven additional Boost regression tests now pass and there are no new failures. The only other difference is that the version is being reported as GNU C++ version 3.3.1 (cygming special) rather than just GNU C++ version 3.3.1. I assume that is to be expected.

Thanks!

--Beman Dawes