Re: UNC paths in TeX

Jan already answered this question (and provided a pointer to the
documentation), but for completeness' sake...

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Sam Steingold wrote:

> > * Igor Pechtchanski <crpugpun@pf.alh.rqh> [2004-01-05 16:28:16 -0500]:
> >
> > On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Sam Steingold wrote:
> >
> >> It appears that TeX does not support UNC paths while ls does.
> > Which TeX?
>
> tetex-2.0.2-13.

That's what I assumed.

> >> This is strange (I expected that to be handled transparently by the dll)
> >
> > Some applications "optimize" two leading slashes into one slash.  This
> > happens before the Cygwin DLL has a chance to see the path.  Issuing
> > "mount '\\host\path' /host/path" before the first command below should
> > verify whether this guess is correct.
>
> $ mount //host/path/path1/path2 /host/path/path1/path2
> mount: warning - /host/path/path1/path2 does not exist.
> mount: defaulting to '--no-executable' flag for speed since native path
>        references a remote share.  Use '-f' option to override.
> mount: /host/path/path1/path2: Permission denied

Hmm, strange.  Can you create system mounts?  If not, try "mount -u"
instead.  WFM.

> >> $ TEXINPUTS=//host/path:.: pdflatex gdm.tex
> >> ! LaTeX Error: File `oubraces.sty' not found.
> >> $ TEXINPUTS=/cygdrive/x/path:.: pdflatex gdm.tex
> >> fine
> >> $ ls //host/path
> >> total 4
> >>    4 oubraces.sty
> >> $
> >>
> >> is this a known bug?
> >
> > Look in the TeTeX sources (I assume you're running tetex).  I suspect
> > this may be a feature that'll need to be disabled in the Cygwin
> > version of TeTeX.
>
> is it really a good idea to do on any platform?

Sometimes it is...  For example, if you're concatenating two variables
with a '/' between them (e.g., $a/$b), and the first one ($a) is set to
"/"...

> >> can I hope for a fix?
> >
> > Perhaps Jan (the tetex maintainer) has enough familiarity with the
> > code to be able to tell offhand how large of an effort this is.
>
> Jan, would you please look at this?
> Thanks!

I believe he did.
	Igor