Can't update cygwin, won't connect to any ftp server

I redownloaded the setup.exe file today to update my cygwin install, so
I have the most current version, 2.416. I'm running WinXP.

When I try to update my installation, I always receive the error
"unable to get setup.ini from <ftp://ftp.chg.ru/pub/sourceware/cygwin>".
I performed the following steps:

1) ran setup.exe, clicked next
2) chose "Install from Internet"
3) chose "C:\Program Files\Cygwin" as root dir, install for "All Users"
using "Unix" text file type and proceeded even after receiving a warning
message to not install to a dir which contains a space.
4) chose "C:\Documents and Settings\Tim\Desktop" as the local package dir
5) chose a "direct connection"
6) selected "ftp://ftp.chg.ru"; from the download sites list

All that I see is

Downloading...
setup.bz2
Connecting...
Progress 0%

My internet connection works, so that is not the problem. I read the faq,
and searched the cygwin mailing list and the google usenet archive, which
resulted in some promising, yet unsucessful advice:

1) remove the file "last-mirror"... I can't find one
2) remove the trailing blank from the download location... there isn't one

Any suggestions? thanks,
Tim Partridge