Re: Geomview compilation under cygwin ...

Well, the only reason why I visited a separate website was to download the xforms library. The xforms library is not actually needed to compile geomview. It's only used to compile some of the examples that come with it. Geomview itself will run fine without it. Even if you do include it, it will have no impact on the geomview base itself.

After extensively searching the internet it became clear to me that a few people have tried to compile geomview under cygwin, and done so unsuccessfully. If there have been any successful compilations they haven't made it public knowledge, at least not that I've found yet. So, in that respect, at least I was able to get it to compile just fine in the most recent cygwin release. Unfortunately, just because something compiles doesn't mean it works, as is the case here. Seeing that I don't have a lot of time to go through the source and debug the code I was hoping someone could offer some insight in the interest of time.

The website that contains the installation instructions is, as you pointed out, German. Though the instructions are in English the source page itself is in German. I'm not up to date on my German so I can't do much about that. There's no email listed anywhere about the author of that page so I can't contact him, though I've tried to via other channels with no success.

So, the only source I have left is this, hoping that perhaps someone who has successfully compiled it before can share some information. Even better, perhaps I can get them to email me their source tree so I can compile it on my computer since they already got it to work. Perhaps Matthias Foehl, the author of that webpage, will be reading this mailing list at some point and he can get in touch with me, since I can't get a hold of him.

It's a small community but perhaps there's another geomview user out there reading this who can offer some pointers.

At any rate, I had already posted this to the cygwin-xfree site with no real success in terms of responses. I posted it here as well only for completion.

--B.